Re: Kerry--Alex

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 05, 2004 at 20:18:46:

In Reply to: Kerry--Alex posted by Walker on October 05, 2004 at 18:26:01:

And the answer is:

It depends on where we are fishing for the most part. There are some places where we have always done better in the morning and other spots that have produced more during the late afternoon. Alex may have a theory on why this is so for each area, but I am not really sure myself. I have a spot that started out like it was going to be a late afternoon hit, but has turned into a middle of the day hit with the late afternoon dying off to nothing. Haven't been there early morning yet.

Something I have found out over time is that a spot that produces crappie consistently will end up being good at various times of the day for a variety of differing reasons. I have been pleasantly surprised a few times on spots I thought were only early morning producers when I tried them later in the day and found them not only there, but active and aggressive. There is one place I have fished for several years that has never been really good except for the last 10 to 45 minutes just before dark. Up to that point you probably won't catch anything, but for the last moments before dark you need your bucket close by and need to get your lure back into the water asap after each catch. No stringers or baskets as every 15 seconds you waste with your lure out of the water is a fish you didn't catch. That spot isn't as good as that now, but still puts on a show from time to time in the spring.

Crappie never cease to surprise me. Just as soon as I think I have the correct theory to explain their behavior, they show up and blow that theory at least partially out of the water. (grin)

Over all, if I had to make a statement about the best times of day to crappie fish based on my experience, on average early morning is best, next is late afternoon. Mid day has been a mixed bag for me. Having said that, we haven't even talked about night fishing!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]