Re: hey alex

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on October 05, 2004 at 07:16:35:

In Reply to: Re: hey alex posted by jhef on October 05, 2004 at 02:36:11:

Jhef, I do not have the proper license to guide and I do work full time so guiding is not an option. As far as helping you though, I do not have a problem with that. I fished Pickwick many years ago with a friend named Ken A. He was an avid smallmouth fisherman and one of the best I seen. He has kids now and time does not permit him to go as much. Pickwick in my opinion is one of the best smallmouth lakes in the country. I realize that Billy Westmorland wrote many books on Dale Hollow but Pickwick is just as special.

Ken A. taught me that if you want BIG smallmouth on Pickwick, concentrate on fishing the fronts coming in November and December. What you are looking for is severe fronts. In other words, you have 70 degrees in mid morning and by afternoon it gets in the 40’s or even 30’s. On Pickwick, current is probably one of the most important factors when catching BIG smallmouth. If TVA is not generating, stay home!

The areas that you mentioned are fantastic smallmouth waters and I have caught many smallmouth over 5 pounds in these areas. One area you might want to try is down river towards Natchez trace. Before you get to the bridge there is an underwater Island called “Kogers Island”. In December, it is hard to beat this place. If you look on the map, directly across south from Kogers, there are some small bluffs. If current is present, this area can be FANTASTIC! Further down river past the bridge on the right, there is creek called Jenkins branch. For some reason, smallmouth will stack up here better than other cuts along the river. Colbert creek is good also, but not as good.

Jhef, I do not know your capabilities or style of fishing techniques but if I was wanting to go over there and catch a smallmouth of a life time, this is what I would do and what I have done. Use 8 lb test and a 1/8 oz black or purple marabou jig. Stop and buy a pound of BIG tuffy minnows. Tip the jig with the minnow and hold on. Smallmouth love tuffy minnows. All my BIG smallmouth have come fishing this technique. It will not be uncommon to go to Pickwick in November and December and catch over 100 smallmouths is a day of fishing.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know and I will be more than glad to help. Good luck and wear your life jacket!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]