Re: Smith Lake Treetops in 45' of water....When/How to fish them????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rattle Trap 222 on September 29, 2004 at 19:48:18:

In Reply to: Smith Lake Treetops in 45' of water....When/How to fish them???? posted by Steve on September 29, 2004 at 09:24:12:

First of all, let me say that I, along with 15,000 other people, am not an expert on Smith Lake. I bought a place on Ryan Creek in 1988 and am still learning what and how to fish that lake.

There is a lot of standing timber in Smith. From what I have been told, anything that was to be more than 35 to 40 feet under the water was left standing. With a lot of 200 to 300 foot water, that leaves a lot of trees standing in the water.

It sounds like you found a tree that should have been cut but I have seen several like that when the water goes down in the fall. As far as fishing this type of timber, no it has not payed off as good as timber that has fallen into the lake from the bank and in water from only a few feet to 60 feet deep. I managed to catch a few very nice bass last week around a tree that had fallen in the water. The top of the tree was in about 45 feet of water.

One thing I learned about Smith Lake is just because you do not see cover doesn't mean that there are not fish there. One point that I regularly catch bass on is 35 feet deep next to the bank with nothing in the way of timber anywhere around the point. A lot of times, defining what a point is on Smith Lake can run you nuts. Anytime you are working along the banks, a point may not be anything more than a somewhat larger rock jutting out further than some other rocks.

This time of year, be on constant lookout for fish schooling right out in the middle of the lake. Chances are it will either be bass or stripe chasing shad, especially in the early mornings. Keep some type of top water lure tied on ready at all times. (Chug Bug, Boy Howdy, Lunker Lure, etc.)

Don't get hung up on fishing that standing tree you found. If I were you, keep you eyes open and work the points, whereever you find them. Good Luck with your fishing.

P.S. Go to an ultra clear line, usually no more than 10 lb. test. I am using some with a small 1/8 oz. lead head jig and Sassy Shad in the 6 lb. range.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]