Re: Pickwick lake info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on September 28, 2004 at 07:00:46:

In Reply to: Pickwick lake info posted by SG on September 27, 2004 at 22:20:41:

SG, first and foremost, use extreme CAUTION on this lake. You can get into trouble if you are not familiar with this lake. My second advice is to check TVA lake info for current conditions. If TVA is not pulling current stay home! My advice is to put in at McFarland (spelling?) park. If you are strictly a non-live-bait fisherman I would advise using 8 pound test and fish 3 inch smoke colored grubs on 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads. Also, crank baits are good this time of year. Depending on water clarity, colors to use would be fire tiger, and neutral colors like shad and white. There will be a lot of threadfin shad schooling on main river points and in the back of coves. Right across from the ramp you will notice some bluffs. Start at the bridge and fish your way down about 3/4 of a mile. If current is present, this drift will be fast but concentrate 2 to 4 feet from bluff walls. Let the jig/grub combo drift with current and hold on! Please retie often, especially if you are catching fish! Another place to try is Jackson Island. Look on the map and be careful in this area. Lots of rocks and shallow humps. Good area though. Again use crank baits and grubs here. Farther down river, there is an area on the right hand side of the river that is known as the old barge canal. I have caught several BIG smallmouths here by drifting the rock pile on both sides. At the very end of this rock pile you will see a day marker. The current creates an eddy current here and smallmouth will stack up thick about 30 feet past the last rock pile. Your boat will be in about 25-28 feet of water and you should position the boat right behind the rock pile. Use your smoke colored grub here. I have a lot more areas to share but if this is your first trip to Pickwick, I would not feel comfortable telling you because of DANGERS! Keep in mind that all of the cuts up and down this area will hold fish. Places to try would be Cypress Creek. Look on the map and you will see the cuts I am talking about. The information that I have given should keep you busy for your first trip. I wish you luck and please wear your life jacket. Welcome to PickWick and I hope you enjoy your visit. My personal opinion is that you could not have made a better choice this time of year to catch a smallmouth of a life time! Remember to check current conditions and retie often! Current conditions can be checked at http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]