Re: Wheeler draw down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 17, 2004 at 23:33:14:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler draw down posted by Tom on September 12, 2004 at 16:44:54:

As I am sure Tom already knows, TVA did a Reservoir Operations Study (ROS) over the last couple of years and solicited input from people in all areas affected by their water policies.

Starting in 2004, some of the reservoirs on the Tennessee river (not sure how many exactly) will be held at summer pool for about a month longer than they were in the previous 10+ years. This is in an effort to satisfy recreational boaters who wanted higher water levels during the last summer holiday of Labor Day. Also, some lakes will be held at approximately one foot higher, on average, during the winter season.

Although I think TVA may re-evaluate the higher levels at the end of summer due to IVAN and whatever storm systems are still to come this hurricane season, I do think the higher average water level during the winter season will be helpful to the fish on Wheeler and other lakes where this policy is in place. Only time will tell, about 3 to 5 years for the crappie. (grin)

One thing to remember is that the operating guides (older ones available on this site, current models available on http://lakeinfo.tva.gov) are just that, GUIDES. They are not hard and fast rules that MUST be followed in all cases. The Tennessee river system is a very large and dynamic entity and TVA must adapt to conditions in order to obtain a balance. The main reasons why the TVA was put in place was to provide flood control first and cheap electric power for a very large area.

The more I follow and study what and why TVA does what they do, the more respect I have for how they handle this massive river system and the efforts they make to work with us fishermen. I don't always like what they do (only because it sometimes negatively affects my fishing, LOL), but I do understand and agree with their actions the majority of the time.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

On a side note:

I am not completely sure why TVA decided to keep Wheeler's lake level at summer pool for a month longer. The only thing I remember hearing during my participation in the ROS was that "some" people thought the lake was more dangerous at lower levels. Well, yes, Wheeler is more dangerous at lower levels for people who insist on driving their boat into areas they are unfamiliar with at speed. Wheeler is only more dangerous at lower levels for people who don't or won't use common sense when lake level conditions require that you be more cautious and stay out of hazardous areas. Hey, you really can't protect an idiot from himself. He will find a way to screw up. The sad thing is that he will then try to find a way to blame somebody else for his own ignorance/stupidity!

Just my $.02

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]