Qualification - Rain! - Re: Crappie prediction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 22, 2000 at 00:11:16:

In Reply to: Crappie prediction posted by Kerry Grissett on December 21, 2000 at 23:56:29:

One qualification I left out in my prediction was RAIN! Given that we have had drought for the last 2 years and only recently have had any significat rain, this will also play a role in the crappie behavior in North Alabama. Last year we didn't have much rain throughout the winter or spring and the creeks simply didn't have much level or flow. I think the crappie stayed out of Flint and Cotaco (and probably many other creeks) due to the lack of water level and flow (current). If this happens again this year, then along with a later pre-spawn and spawn pattern, I really don't know what will happen. (smile) Last year I heard about folks catching crappie in shallows just off the main river channel in several places, but I didn't experience any of this myself as I stubbornly kept going back to the spots that had been so good to me the year before. After it was too late, I realized that the crappie had probably had the "major" spawn in the nearest shallow water available to the main channels, given the low level of the river in the draught conditions.

OK, here's your chance to shoot down my "theories"! (smile) I don't know if they will hold true or not, but it is my best guess.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]