Crappie prediction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 21, 2000 at 23:56:29:

As I have always maintained, I am NOT an expert at any type of fishing. Although I do try to learn all I can from others and my own experience, the best I can say is that I do come up with "theories" about what the fish are doing or will do. Well, here is my latest theory about what the crappie will be doing this winter/spring.

Over the last 10-15 years, we have not had a REALLY cold winter. Because of this, at least for the last 10 years, I have seen the major crappie spawn in North Alabama happening anywhere from a start of late january to an ending or slow down of late march. This is not to say that other folks weren't finding them before and after this time frame, but this was my best time period. I think this has been due to the warmer than "normal" winters and "early" spring warm-ups. If current cold temps continue into january and february, then the usual "early" pre-spawn activity will be pushed back to what I have always heard from the "old timers". This would make the pre-spawn activity occur from late march to mid-april and the major spawn happening from mid april until mid may/end of may.

I can't warranty this prediction (I am an amateur!), but if the cold weather holds up late into january/february, I won't be surprised if it holds to be true. Look for periods of warmer weather that hold for more than 3 days and high temps of at least 55 degrees or better. We'll see if I have learned anything or not. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]