Re: Worth pointing out.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on September 07, 2004 at 21:23:19:

In Reply to: Re: Worth pointing out. posted by Alex on September 07, 2004 at 10:35:24:

Speaking of fees, we (local guides and a group of tournament anglers) met with the State a couple of months ago. We told them we would be in favor of tournament permits to help with funding, AND raising fishing license fees. We brought up both those ideas. We also discussed boat trailer license tags (as most other states have) and other measures across the board to help with the funding issues. There are issues pro and con to some of these measures, but I'll say this, local tournament anglers are way ahead and willing to cough up more money to help with the funding IF there is notable improvement.

Stan Cook (Chief of Fisheries) is a true professional, and has helped us understand the states point of view. You might take note that action has been taken on Guntersville with regard to enforcement. The new warden is great, and we are seeing him a lot out there. I've been checked more in the last three months than I have been in the last 9 years. That was needed long ago. I have also noted the increase in visibility of enforcement personel on both Wheeler and Wilson. We discussed solutions to some of the poaching issues.

Along with that, there were discussions to allow the enforcement responsibility to cross over to the Marine Police. (Meaning they can perform some of the same duties as the DCNR with respect to poachers, checking licenses, etc). I believe we'll see better enforcement as a result of our area anglers getting involved. There is no question the state is concerned and willing to listen.

There are a lot of issues involved with getting more enforcement, but it's looking up.

And, I agree with Alex, ALL the laws should be followed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]