Re: Worth pointing out.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I hear you Gene. on September 07, 2004 at 00:01:06:

In Reply to: Re: Worth pointing out. posted by Gene Walk on September 06, 2004 at 15:40:57:

It's hard to understand the real meaning of statistics, especially those making blanket assumptions with incomplete data. This happens a lot. The pro's are the least of our worries with respect to delayed mortality, they actually have the best live release rates, several studies documenting as little as 5%. A recent, long term study in the NE found an overall average of 12% mortality comparing a number of events. The point is, the real pro trails provide the best fish care. Wildcats and local events are another story, but they are doing a lot better over the last couple years. It's also a fact that we only have a handful of big events each year on each lake. There has never been any evidence that the impact of these events effect the over all and long term catch ratios on major systems that I'm aware of.

I have to take issue with the implication that the pro's don't care. I know there are some pinheads, but we have a number of Alabama pros, very good Christian family men (and a couple of gals) who love to take their kids fishing. They not only support the protection of our habitat and fisheries, but they ACT on it, which is something a lot of people don't do. I know a good number of true pros personally. Their kids love to catch bass, crappie, catfish and bream, and those pro's care a lot about all of it. Some pro's have already taken up the gauntlet here in Alabama, they've been there for some time.

If anyone thinks the pro organizations are not fighting to protect OUR resources, take a look at BASS times. Read who really is and who really isn't on the front lines in every issue. Some of the best independent outdoor writers in the country are involved in the nitty gritty political issues that affect every angler.

Tank out? When will Guntersville "tank out"? It's been doing well for near 10 years. Will it be dead in 20... 30 years? With the sancturary Guntersville has, I find it hard to believe it will ever tank out, so long as it's managed well. There are fish in that grass that never see a bait all summer long. Pressure is very light during the week after the spring periods, I can testify to that from being out there and seeing very few boats on most days. And, if you're not seeing one of the best year classes on Guntersville we've ever had, you're not looking in the right places. I've seen more fingerling to 12" fish this year than ever, black tips are everywhere. This despite the thousands that were taken by knive and tournament mortality this spring. (Testimony that there is no substitute for the living, breathing cover we have that supports the entire food chain, called grass...!)

Very few people "make a living" fishing, very few, a lot fewer than most know about, the wannabees are the vast majority.

I've been guiding for 22 years, the better part of the last 10 years full time. I'm on the water many periods up to 40 days in a row, and over 250 days a year on average. From what I see, we have some serious looming problems. The guys who bring the freezers in the backs of trucks down here each year and take all they want is a real problem. (Although enforcement as stated has picked up substancially in our area). Gill netting is a real problem, the creation of new wetlands to keep up with population is a dire need, and better habitat management and water quality control are critical. And, perhaps the biggest problem of all is the predjudicial group aspects of fishing. The fly fishermen hate the non-fly fishermen, the spin-casters hate the bait-casters, the small boat crowd hates the big boat crowd, everybody hates tournament anglers, tournament anglers hate the jet-skiers, The skillet crowd hates the C&R crowd, etc etc etc... I deal with it every day. Cripes, being a guide should include a psych major along with the USCG license. (Or maybe just require being totally nutz...) The bickering between groups is a blinding effect to the real issues, and it keeps anything from getting solved.

I'm outta here, gotta go fish a PRO tournament... LOL.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]