Ethics!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on September 03, 2004 at 08:38:09:

Not long ago I read a post on another board that made me realize that when it comes to ethics and tournament fishing, there is not always a relation between the two. Apparently there was a fish that was hooked in a brush pile in deep water during a tournament and the fish won the fight. Not long after the fish was lost, it resurfaced and was floating on top of the water. The angler netted the fish and placed it in his live well. The fish ended up dying and the angler placed the BIG fish on the bank so no one else could pick it up. Apparently, he knew that this particular fish was the one he lost because the jig was still in the fish.
This angler was praised for being honest and showing good ethics. I cannot argue that in some ways he did the right thing for being honest and not using that fish during weigh-in. I do however have a problem with leaving the fish on the bank. I do not know the rules of this particular tournament but I can assume that there was a five fish limit per boat. If he had kept the fish and still been honest, he would have only been able to weigh in four fish. My question is did he go back after the tournament and retrieve the fish for consumption?
In my opinion there should never be a monetary value placed on wasted game. Good luck and good fishing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]