Re: Fishing under bridges at nigh

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on July 27, 2004 at 10:42:58:

In Reply to: Re: Fishing under bridges at nigh posted by bob on July 27, 2004 at 09:50:38:

Bob, I am no expert but here is what I know about bridges and crappie.

Bridges are unique for several reasons. In most cases there is a narrowing of water passage underneath and this creates a concentration of bait fish. Other factors that make bridges so attractive to crappie are the structures associated with the bridge itself. Normally bridges will have a lot of vertical structure such as the pilings used to support the bridge itself. Crappie will use these structures to ambush prey. They will also use these structures to get of strong current. Other factors are shade and cooler water temps.

Some of the better bridges that I catch a lot of crappie on have been in use for several years. The structure underneath them has an overabundance of algae and this attracts bait fish as well. Over the years, I have found that some bridges are better than others. What I try to look for are bridges that separate smaller bodies of water rather than large bodies of water such as main river channels. This is not to say that large bridges do not produce but it can make it a lot harder when trying to locate crappie under these bridges.

Bridges are also migrating routs for spawning crappie. During early spring, crappie will migrate from deeper water, usually from the main river channel and look for adequate spawning flats. These flats usually are located in protective coves and back water flats. After the spawn has occurred, crappie will then start to migrate back out in late summer and early fall to their winter locations.

Bridges can be fantastic when it comes to locating and catching crappie. Give it a try sometime. Good luck and be careful.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]