Re: What's Biting From the Bank on Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Red on July 22, 2004 at 09:32:08:

In Reply to: What's Biting From the Bank on Wheeler posted by B Palmer on July 19, 2004 at 09:56:50:

Take you light kid's light spinning gear and a tie swivel on the end of the main line and then attach a Sabiki rig to the other end of the swivel with a good size (maybe 3/4 to 1 oz) weight at the end.

Now, about 2 hours before dark, go below Guntersville Dam on the south side of the river. This mean you need to take 231 south to Morgan city and then take County Road 240 "Union Grove Road" toward union grove until you see the Guntersville Dam sign.

When you get to the dam, park in the parking lot to your right and walk down the slanted sidewalk toward the dam, down to "The Wall".

You kid should fish with the Sabiki rig straight up and down on wall. Preferrably, right in the corner where the wall comes in contact with the main dam.

You will catch skip jack herring (up to 2 lbs), shad, white bass, possibly hybrids, etc..

I make my little ones wear their life jacket while
doing this because they have tendency to want to go down the wall were it starts slanting down to the water, where the railing is sparse.

Also make sure you check the tva site before you go to insure they are running the water (discharge ideal at about 35000 cfs). If they are not running the water then do not go.

Good luck.

Maybe I will see there.

I generally catch bait on the wall then fish there or launch my boat and catfish in the tail waters.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]