Re: Trout Stocking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by stan on July 11, 2004 at 23:41:18:

In Reply to: Re: Trout Stocking posted by Gene Walk on July 11, 2004 at 17:41:15:

Here are directions from Birmingham:
--Take 65 North about four miles past the Garden City exit to Exit 291. (About 30 miles north of Birmingham.)

--Turn left on Highway 91. Take 91 about 15 miles until it ends at Highway 69 at Bug Tussle.

--Turn left on Highway 69 and drive about another 5 miles until you come to a fly fishing shop on your left.

--Turn right down the road across the street from the fly shop. Take this road for about two miles, until you come to the pump house....park in the grass.

You can wade most of the river between the pump house and the dam. Below the pump house you'll need a float tube or a canoe. I fished it Friday, the day after it was stocked, and it was too easy. They hit anything and everything. It will get progressively more difficult until the next stocking. Guys who fish it a lot more than I do tell me the water is cool enough to keep trout alive for a mile or more below the bridge (by the fly shop) and there are some big ones down there.

In my experience, they hit anything you put in front of them shortly after being stocked. After a while, they favor a red ant pattern or a midge. But they're stockers, so they're not really all that picky.

Have fun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]