Re: Wheeler in October

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on June 23, 2004 at 07:12:46:

In Reply to: Wheeler in October posted by BASNGAL on June 22, 2004 at 13:34:26:

BASNGAL, October is a good time for numbers on Wheeler. Once the water temps start to fall there will be huge schools of shad grouping up on the main river bluffs and in the backs of coves. Crank baits burned fast in these areas will produce. As I suggested the last time you were at Wheeler, live bait is your best bet for consistent action. It is not uncommon to have 100 fish days in October. If you are looking for a trophy, I would wait until mid November and all of December. This is not to say that you wonít catch a BIG smallmouth during October, but all of my trophy fish came during these months. The trick is to fish the severe cold fronts coming in.

If you decide to come down, I really think you canít go wrong. If you decide to stay in the cabins like last time, you have several options. Fish the lower end such as First and Second creeks and if that does not pay off, fish the tail races below Wheeler dam with live thread fin shad. I think you will get spoiled! When you finalize your date let me know and I will try and help. I know those areas like the back of my hand.

As for fishing below Wheeler dam, the trick is to have a lot of current. Depending on which turbines are running will dictate what drift you make. Again, I can help you on this. Good luck and if you do decide to come down, we welcome you once again!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]