Re: surf fishing in destin/ft walton area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on June 13, 2004 at 23:14:50:

In Reply to: surf fishing in destin/ft walton area posted by fishindad on June 12, 2004 at 15:01:11:

HI ,next month will be july and surf fishing is generally slow then and if its a high wave day the green algae will wrap your line a lot,but that said there will be Whiting in the area where the waves break feeding on the sand debrie stirred up by the wave action .They can be caught using a pyramid lead(2oz) and leader and using a piece of shrimp for bait,course pinfish will also be bother you too,or if you prefer you can use a slip sinker(1oz) and barrel swivil with a 12 inch leader ,it just rolls with the current more.One more thing ,when fishing the surf that time of year in Destin be careful you can go blind from the "sights" GRIN!!My best bet would be to get live Bull minnows if you can find them(Zacks in destin or,Pats in ft walton the 2 possible places) and make a walk out to the east Jetty and fish them just out beyond the jetty rock line.This time i recommend the carolina rig or barrel lead(1oz) with the barrel swivil and a 12 to 18 inch leader.Black Snapper(have to be 10 inches with 5 the limit) and flounder(have to be 12 inches,with 10 the limit) hang in the edge of the rocks and are a lot of fun to try and land with out letting them get you in the rocks.Its sort of like fishing below Gville dam with the current running but in this case it will be the tide.If its running out into the gulf you need to fish the side of the jetty facing the beach and if its coming into the bay then fish the side toward Ft Walton,either way fish out on the end or near the end .Also Redfish(have to be 18 to 27 with 1 as the limit) hang out there too and they love bull minnows too especially big ones.One more thing you will need a fishing liscense to fish either the surf or jetties no exceptions for out of staters.they have 3day,week and yearly deals .i think the 3 day is 7 bucks and the year is 33 Im not sure what the week one is.Not speaking from experience but i do know that the fine is $90 do re mi's with part of the money going to buy you a 33 dollar ticket.Hope this helps some and the site Kerry listed is good too.Best of luck and hope you have fun in the sun catching fish!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]