Crappie below Wilson Dam and motor repaired...finally!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 03, 2000 at 18:04:33:

I finally got my boat to a shop and it is runnnig great again! I ended up taking it to Tidwell's near Elk River. I had taken it to Russell's, but they were covered up and wouldn't be able to get to it for about 1.5 - 2 weeks. Turned out there was a small piece of plastic in the high speed jet that was impeding fuel flow. How it got there is a mystery. In any case they did a good job and the carb cleaning cost me $65, the hourly shop rate at Tidwell's. Dropped it off late thursday morning and it was ready before lunch friday. Not bad!

Now to the fishing. Spent the weekend in Florence with my son at my parent's. Saturday morning my youngest brother and I got out before daylight and tried the lock canal below Wilson. Only managed to find 4 crappie, all keepers, but we released them. Sunday morning (today) I went out before daylight in the same places and managed to catch 10 pretty good keepers before I had to get back home around 10am. The best fish came out of 12 feet of water and hit at about 10 feet. The rest came off of structure (trees) in 12 feet of water and hit from 5-9 feet deep. All but the first fish were caught by slow vertical jigging directly over the structure with a red/charteuse jig.

On saturday I also tried going up to the turbines at Wilson. VERY, VERY SHALLOW getting up there!!! It wasn't worth the trip and risk. Didn't catch a single thing and only marked a scant few sauger on the depthfinder. If you try going to the turbines below Wilson, be EXTREMELY careful!!! If you aren't familiar with this area, then I suggest you don't even try while the water is this low!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]