Re: Guntersville Carp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on May 12, 2004 at 18:33:11:

In Reply to: Guntersville Carp posted by Arabian on May 12, 2004 at 17:31:52:

I too was at beech creek yesterday(Bream were everywhere but shellies few) and it was sickening to see them floating everywhere but I do not think it was bow fishers that killed them' being a Biologist,and curious ,I found a couple of them that werent to decomposed and looked them over .I found no evidence of puncture wounds from an arrow although might have been using a blunthead on them but i did find that their were scrape markings and missing scales on them like the had been pulled out of a net,especialy across the head and around the gill area.And to farther my suspiscions,if you went out to the middle of Beech creek in line with the the Beech creek bridge you would have seen acres of net floats bright yellow and bright red in color.They had been strategically placed along the beech creek old creek bank where it runs out into Browns creek.The water depth ranged from 5 to 11 feet depending on the placement and i guess it wasnt deep enough to hide their floats.Netting has been increasing in rampant proportions the last 2 or 3 years that I have seen on the big G.I watched 12 put out last fall up at Short Creek ,all on the bridge corners about 150 yards,and this late february I watched them run one half way across Browns creek while i was fishing under the bridge.I know thats their living and the so called trash fish of cats and carp are suspose to be their target and they ahve a limit on net mesh size but with no permanent Game Wardens in Marshall Couunty and with the 2 who were retiring and retired ,who knows what goes on when running their nets.What I cant figure is why would you kill and trash so many carp if you are using a net to catch them?? Unless they waited too long to run it and they had been dead for a long time.But Arabian was very conservative in his estimate of how many he saw dead ,I counted over 75 on one streach of bank alone.And as he said the stench was awful no way to smell the Bream beds !! Tight lines to all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]