Re: One angler's complaint about Neely Henry Lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Body on December 01, 2000 at 21:08:56:

In Reply to: One angler's complaint about Neely Henry Lake posted by Darn Tootin' on November 22, 2000 at 05:51:32:

I am sorry for any problems we tournament fishermen have caused you in fishing Lake Neely Henry. I myself am a Professional angler that fished one of those tournaments and have fished this, my home lake, for the last 25 years or so. But these tournaments have brought some 500 teams, 1140 people and 640,000 dollars to the local economy.

There were 4 dead fish combined in all three tournaments and the second tournament we made everything between the bridges off-limits so the 4700 lbs. of bass that were caught in the first one would have a chance to survive. The second tournament took 30 lbs. of bass to win for two days after the river been beat for 7 consecutive days. This does not sound like it is hurting the fish to me.

As far as no place to put your boat in, how about Dub Parker Park, "A city owned boat ramp across the river from the Gadsden boat docks". Then there is the Southside boat ramp or Lake Shore and Willow Point to mention a few other ramps.

The thing that is hurting Bass fishing right now is the water quality brought on from the drought, the mild winters that are not killing off some of the shad population, and how about the Largemouth Bass Virus that is all over Alabama.

I think that before we criticize the tournament anglers we need to hear all of the facts. You know we are all a good bunch of guys once you get to know us, but you would not want to have us over for supper, don’t forget we are still a little “crusty”.

Steve Body

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]