Re: fishing down south

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Terry on May 11, 2004 at 10:12:05:

In Reply to: fishing down south posted by Andrew on May 09, 2004 at 21:35:28:

Hi Andrew,

There is nothing top notch in the immediate close proximity of Gulf Shores. I might be able to help you if you could tell me how far you would be willing to drive from Gulf Shores and what species you are interested in. I assume black bass, but if it is something else (white bass, bream, crappie, catfish), it might make a difference where to direct you.

One word of caution, in my humble opinion, the freshwater fishing in North Alabama is superior to that along the immediate Gulf Coast. I am now able to make a decent catch of freshwater fish here, but it took quite a bit of time to learn how to fish a tidal river. There are fluctuating salinity levels, current flows in alternating directions, different forage species, etc. And there are some navigational issues that make it more risky more than on a deep reservoir. It is a big difference from Wilson and Pickwick Lakes where I fished growing up.

But if you still want to try it, let me know what you want to catch and I will to tell you about some locations to try.

P.S. You could do some saltwater bay fishing safely in your own bass boat. This would increase your odds of having a good catch (and a fresh dinner). It would be important to wash down boat & trailer and flush the engine, though.

Captain Terry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]