Dead fish and tournaments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jesse on May 11, 2004 at 09:15:04:

In Reply to: Re: General discussion posted by Larry on May 10, 2004 at 20:27:23:

Tournament fishing can be both a blessing and a curse. As with every sport or activity, there are good and bad participants. Some clubs and organizations are excellent and conservation minded, and others seem to operate only for the money, sometimes even under the mask of "charity".

A few suggestions:

1. Tournament fishermen should obey the same timeless honor/respect system which regards the sanctity of the other fishermen. His spot does not become your spot just because you are "fishing for money". His spot does not become your spot just because you have a more powerful boat and can cut him off. Well, you get the point.

2. Creel limits do matter in tournaments. Most recognize this, but a few don't see this importance in hot weather when mortality rates are so bad. As an old timer, I don't believe the mortality rates are as good even in cool weather as we all want to think they are. Five or six fish in a boat is plenty to judge by.

3. I know it isn't popular, but the time has come that some sort of regulating of tournaments has to be implimented. The number and size of tournaments has just exploded in the last few years and will only increase. I don't know the answer, but somehow we must take better care of our resource. Angling is a sport, not some big business or market share for the corporations to fight over and manipulate to the good of their bottom line. The same principle goes for the local guys trying to work an angle to make a fast buck off of what belongs to us all.

4. Every club and or organization should be required to conduct and or participate in annual service projects for conservation. This is a small price to pay back to the resource which gives us so much. The use of our lakes and waterways is a privilege, and if we don't treat it as such we lose it.

I welcome your thoughts and or criticism. But I caution you, my feelings on this subject run deep and close to the heart. They have been forged over time and in the furnace of long years of living and loving this old river and her lakes.

Let's go fishing!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]