Re: Poachers Caught!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jesse on May 11, 2004 at 08:46:03:

In Reply to: Re: Poachers Caught! posted by Redbug on May 08, 2004 at 16:25:07:

At the risk of further exacerbating this whole discussion, I would offer the following.

First, what criminals do always hurts and limits innocent people; That's just the way it is. Decreasing the limits will help because most fishermen do honor the limits and obey the law. There are many times more law abiding sportsmen than poachers.

Second, I do catch and eat fish from our fishery. However, it is a treat now rather than something that I go out and do in large scale. Catching and stocking up the freezer to feed droves might have been okay 30 years ago, but the numbers of fishermen have dramatically increased. You cannot justify it anymore. I have been fishing Guntersville lake for over 50 years. I have seen what fishing pressure will do to it. Even the bream and shellcracker can be overfished.

Third, if you want to feed your neighborhood, might I suggest catfish. Stop off at your local Kroger or local market. They are raising these bad boys by the millions and they actually taste better than bream and crappie. (Yes I said that too.) At the price of gas, bait, and tackle, the catfish is probably cheaper and you didn't even have to clog up your wife's freezer space.

I have some suggestions for the tournament fishermen too, but will post in another place. Now that I have that off my chest, let's go fishing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]