Re: General discussion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on May 10, 2004 at 18:40:21:

In Reply to: General discussion posted by Alex on May 10, 2004 at 13:03:17:

Alex, if you are referring to my comments, you may want to take a little time off of fishing and polish up those reading skills. Now, let me give you a quote from me below... "There is nothing wrong with feeding a few friends". As I said, I don't believe in catching and stocking more than MY family and friends can eat in one setting. That's my personal standard. No where did I state that it was wrong for anyone else to keep some to eat. As long as it's responsible, then harvest is a good thing for conservation. Like I said, I'm a meat hunter, but some people are pigs and have zero responsiblilty. And... I will say that catching and hoarding fish to feed 50+ people is ridiculous in my opinion. The reason? Because I know a good number of people who do it, some hoard fish to feed everyone they know several times a year. How many besides you, and those I know, and those who come here to poach are doing the same thing? One can only guess... A lot of the out of state people keep all they can with little or no regard for size in order to feed everyone they know. So do many locals. In your case, you say none are wasted, that's great, but in all too many cases game IS wasted.

Many lakes around the country have suffered as a result, and have had to have extreme restrictive measures put in place with regard to creel limits to undo the damage. (Some lakes around the country you can only keep 3 bass, and 20 bream, etc.. Is that what we want? Better to act responsibly NOW than pay later, and with the increasing number of folks catching on to our good fishing... it's just a matter of time.

And, about showing people how to fish, (including a lot of kids I might add...) maybe you should know that those I show have to put them back, so y'all can catch them and feed them to all your friends...:)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]