Re: Not accurate Redbug,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on May 09, 2004 at 21:10:47:

In Reply to: Re: Redbug, posted by Redbug on May 09, 2004 at 17:09:33:

I don't make money at tournament fishing, I spend a lot more than I make. I guide an equal amount of non-tournament angelers who want to either catch a few fish for fun or learn to catch a few to eat. A lot of clients bring their kids. I do screen people, if I know they are here to fill their freezers, I don't carry them. It costs me money, but that's the way I feel about it. There are a lot of tournament anglers I also don't carry for various reasons. I could make a living putting people on bream and crappie all year. I don't do it because too many will take advantage.

Did you see Alan Clemons' last commentary?

http://www.al.com/outdoors/huntsvilletimes/aclemons.ssf?/base/sports/108409415194361.xml

These 6 guys had over 5,000 fish in 6 days the previous year, and wonder why it was slow this year! Unreal...

The number of bass filleted and taken both legally and non-legally during the spawn blows away the number that die in tournaments. That is a fact. You see, a bass that is filleted doesn't spawn the next year, most tournament bass do. And, the mortality rate for bass in the spring season tournaments is very low due to the lower water temps. More do die in the summer months, no question about that, but the limit is 5 per boat with a delayed mortality rate of less than 20% even in the worst months. That's 5 bass per 2 people at a low risk, not 10 per person with a 100% mortality rate when a knife is put to them. Again, do the math. And, do some research... although you may not like what you find if you are anti-tournament.

I agree, we need to help the wardens, they have a very tough job. I know that for a fact. They WILL act when notified. They need good solid leads, but few people want to "narc" on offenders. That's a shame.

Maybe you don't get a limit every day because of the FACT that I see boats out there fishing 7 days a week working together in groups, using radios and phones, fishing daylight to dark and carrying everything they catch, legal or not to the fish camp or to the house to fillet. I know a lot of groups that plan their vacations to match up with our spawn, so they can kill all they want easily.

Let me tell you a true story about a sauger angler I ran into a couple of years ago on the water. This guy is local, he said he and all his friends used to be able to go up to the G'ville dam and catch all they wanted. In fact he said, they would go get two to three limits a piece a day and clean them, and he said now he don't know what has happened to the sauger fishing... That was one of the most classic encounters I've ever had on the water. Sad but true. The real problem is I've run into a lot of people like that who have no respect for the limits or regs, they kill it all.

I think people should eat some fish, I do, but I also think people should have some responsibility. Many people don't even know we have a possession limit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]