Re: You've got to be kidding...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on May 09, 2004 at 13:34:20:

In Reply to: Re: You've got to be kidding... posted by Josh T on May 09, 2004 at 11:02:24:

You're still way off base with the gun control analogy. It's not about punishment, it's about responsibility, and not just responsibility for out of staters, but for everyone. Progressive management has lowered the creel limits in many states, and for a good reason. Not a "quick fix" by any means, but a profound improvement in conservation management.

With regard to the creel, it's mainly a bass issue, although I personally think 30 bream is way plenty for anyone. That's 60 possession PER PERSON. In two days fishing, a guy can easily feed his family of 6 on 60 fish for some time. Take your brother and sister with you and triple that number. I'm not convinced that there are so many people in Alabama who rely on feeding their families fish. If people can afford the boats, the gas and the gear to do it, they can afford a few extra hushpuppies to fill the void...:)

I will agree, better enforcement of poaching would reduce the future need for lowering the creel of panfish. Along with that, better habitat management and water quality improvement would be the ideal, you can believe I'm a huge advocate for those issues. However, funding enforcement and habitat management is a lot more expensive than reducing the creel for panfish.

Regarding fishing during the spawn, in our area, no study indicates any benefit to such measure with respect to bass or panfish for reasons too numerous to list. (The same is true in most areas I am aware of). In part it is due to the long spawning period we are blessed with in this climate region. Lowering the creel on bass however would mean many more would survive during the spawning time, which is when most are taken for food.

When it comes to creel limit regulation changes, usually those who squalk the loudest are those who take the most, because they don't care about anyone else. (Just an observation over the years, I'm not pointing fingers here).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]