Re: Fly fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RWJ on May 04, 2004 at 22:51:42:

In Reply to: Fly fishing posted by Mike on May 04, 2004 at 16:06:48:

May I suggest Cypress Creek in Florence, Al. I fished it twice over the weekend and caught both smallmouth and rock bass. Nothing very big but the creek is in good shape (i.e. very wadable in many places and clear). Your "rivers" are more like our "creeks" as far as size and wading goes. With some exceptions, there are not too many places to wade the Tennessee River. Look for the creeks that access the Tennessee. Other places to consider in northwest Alabama would be upper Shoals Creek at the Goose Shoals bridge and Blue Water Creek about a mile above the highway 72 bridge. All of these creeks are in Lauderdale County, Alabama. Get a Delorme Map book to find the roads.
In the northeast, try Little River Cannon but take a friend and lots of water for the hike in and out. Also there are places to wade at Lake Guntersville in the back of the creeks and the bream are on the bed given the full moon. You can catch both bream and some large bass which are in the shallows looking for the bream.
There are trout below Smith Dam near Jasper. However, I would not go there as my first choice considering where you are from. This is not a complete list but it will do given that you are on foot. Go to the smallmouth streams, first and foremost.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]