Re: Fly fishing questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Price on May 01, 2004 at 21:28:58:

In Reply to: Fly fishing questions posted by Smallie on May 01, 2004 at 19:02:50:

The fly shop below Lewis Smith Dam owned by John is a great place to get an idea of what you may need. I also figure it depends on how much you want to spend etc etc. I am an avid fly fisherman. I fish warm and cold water. Contrary to what you will probably be told you can get an entry level rod that you will be satisfied with fairly cheap if you shop around. I have one rod and reel combo I gave over 1600 bucks for. But I also have several cheaper ones that I enjoy just as much. I have a nice graphite fly rod bought at my local Wal Mart and a nice reel I picked up at Bass Pro Shop for a grand total of about 80 dollars and I use it as a stow away rod in my vehicle in case I chance upon good water in my travels. That combo has probably caught more on it than all other rods I own combined. What type fish you going after? I catch bass,blue gill,etc on a 5/6 weight rod with a weight forward 7 weight line and a leader in the same class with a tippet in the 3x or 4 x range. I have landed as big as ten pounders with it with lil problem. Although some prefer a 8 weight for the same. Anyway there are way too many details to try and describe here. if you have specific questions email me at justfishing1967@aol.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]