Re: Inshore fishing at the gulf

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Terry on April 25, 2004 at 10:11:53:

In Reply to: Inshore fishing at the gulf posted by Mike D on April 23, 2004 at 16:39:00:

Hey Mike,

Hopefully you will have some nice weather to get in a little fishing while you are here. Not sure of your exact destination, but I will give you a local report for coastal Alabama.

Right now we are in a period of record dry weather which has pushed salt water up to the beaches and up the rivers. The shrimp are still in the deltas and rivers as there has been very little rain (i.e. fresh water) this spring to push them south. So most of the better trout fishing is occurring farther north than normal this time of year. By the time you get here, the white trout will be inshore - water temp is just now getting warm enough for them. If they are in, it is possible to catch an ice box of them in one trip and there is no limit as they are very plentiful. Cut squid on a dropper rig is best - use # 8 4X treble hooks. Be sure to get 4X strong because you might get a bigger species which will easliy straighten a standard treble hook. As a minimun, use at least a strong bass rod or better a inshore sized spinning rod. More than likely you can get a redfish bite if you bait with a fresh pogey. Better to use a Carolina rig with a larger #6 4x treble for them. The dry conditions have also brought very fine bluewater conditions close to shore. Blackfin tuna have being caught just a few miles from shore which is very unusual. Of course the kings and cobia are already here. If it stays like this for long it is going to be possible to get a wahoo or yellow fin on a day trip. As long as the wind subsides the offshore fishing is superb. Red snapper and grouper are still only 80-100 feet now as the water is still cool. You can catch Spanish and kings from the piers and bridges, but you will certainly need heavy mono leader for the Spanish and steel leader for the kings.

The main trouble has been windy conditions which have kept the seas at 3-5 feet. I have a charter business, but I don't prefer to take people out in those conditions even though it is possible to fish. I want them to have fun and that's not fun. It's more like combat fishing.

Mike, I might be able to help pinpoint some locations for you to try if I knew your exact destination. If you could post it, I will try to be more specific about location.

By the way, I grew up in north Alabama and still travel there to fish occasionally, especially for sauger and crappie. I think some of the world's best fishing is in north Alabama.

Best wishes to you Mike for a great trip.

Captain Terry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]