Re: dam fishing etiquette

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Attorney on April 19, 2004 at 17:21:05:

In Reply to: dam fishing etiquette posted by baitbucket on April 19, 2004 at 14:11:46:

I compliment your tone with which you make your inquiry. Further, I admire your willingness to seek to share the waters with others.

Best idea is to put your trolling motor down and give the dude a bit of space. When he observes what you catch, he'll be getting in line to drift, too.

There's no real property rights as to a position or location upon the waters. There is, however, negligence in the event of a collision. It is arguable who, in fact, is negligent...the drifter or the anchored vessel, or both.

I suppose it might turn-out to be a "who got there first" argument, as a vessel anchored on the current break and another vessel drifting it must, at least for a moment, occupy the same space.

You might opt to be nice, but inform a person anchoring that you are making repeat passes on the current break and that you got there first and that they should anchor elsewhere. Inform them that drifting the length of the break is customary for people in this locale and that persons anchoring therein are fouling-up the system and giving rise to a dangerous situation.

Be polite and upbeat and ask for the assistance of the marine police if that doesn't work.

Were they yankees?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]