dam fishing etiquette

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by baitbucket on April 19, 2004 at 14:11:46:

When I began fishing below Wheeler Dam about 16 years ago I noticed that most of the fisherman would motor up to the boils, turn sideways, and cast their bait into the boils, drifting back some distance and returning. In recent years, there seems to be a trend among some anglers to position their boats on the edges of the current, holding their poition with a trolling motor. This is a very effective method of staying on fish, but it messes up the drift pattern of every other boat that is trying to drift along the edge of the current. It ruins a good day of fishing when I am aimlessly drifting along (with my trolling motor up) and some guy from another state starts cussing me because I am getting too close to his boat; the laws of physics say that he is the one that is moving closer to my boat; I am at rest with repect to the water. When there are 20+ boats trying to fish the same small area and just 2 or 3 guys stop right in the middle of it and expect you to give them a wide berth...well, I guess that's why I won't be going back to the dam on a weekend anymore. Does this action bother anybody else, or is it just me? By the way, we caught 27, 17, and 14 lb. rockfish and a few smaller hybrids on BIG yellowtails.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]