Re: EFI vs. Carb on Yamaha

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on April 08, 2004 at 14:20:34:

In Reply to: EFI vs. Carb on Yamaha posted by Rckmn on April 07, 2004 at 19:15:06:

Most of my engine problems have been carburetor related. If your dad does not fish frequently, or has long periods without using the boat, EFI may be a better option. At least that has always been my opinion, but I keep buying used boats and always end up with carbs so I can't say for sure.

I would check out the Boats/Motors section on the Bass Fishing Home Page. I would start with a search, because the question could have already been asked dozens of times. Sounds like fuel economy may be better, but I believe the 40% comparison above by Captain Terry compares 2 and 4 stroke engines, not just EFI vs. carb. I definitely believe that wear is always much more in a 2 stroke than 4 stroke. I talked to some people that rent boats and they claim to get 5 times the life from a 4 stroke with much less maintenance. Also, add 20-30 cents per gallon to fuel costs for 2 stroke oil.

A dealer once told me that a Honda engine (4-stroke) is perhaps more susceptible to carb fouling from non-use than American models. The reason was described as being related to the very small and precisely bored jets that "atomize" the fuel to increase burn efficiency and reduce fuel consumption. I am talking over my head now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]