Re: G-ville dam tailrace/TVA schedule

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 07, 2004 at 22:26:07:

In Reply to: G-ville dam tailrace/TVA schedule posted by jd on April 07, 2004 at 18:20:27:

Hey jd,

I think Guntersville dam's predicted releases have generally been much more reliable than those for Wheeler dam, but I haven't followed those data as closely as for Wheeler.

Not to make excuses, but there could be a wide variety of reasons for the difference between the predicted and actual releases. I remember TVA stopping releases a few years back to aid in dragging for a body although the predicted release schedule called for continued releases. Also, since the majority of electric power in this area is now generated at Browns Ferry, the dams are really just used as "stop-gaps" for peak load periods. I do think this lack of consistent continuous flow has hurt the fishing and is definitely frustrating when you plan a trip based on the LakeInfo page's predictions, but those predictions are just that, predictions. Human error, unexpected conditions and changes in power demand I think are the usual reasons for the difference.

I've been taking TVA's side so much lately, maybe they will hire me as a PR rep! LOL!!!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]