Re: g-dam tailrace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on April 01, 2004 at 20:58:16:

In Reply to: Re: g-dam tailrace posted by slo-ride on April 01, 2004 at 10:30:07:

It has been years since I have used anything other than Sassy Shad during the early runs. Blue or black makes little difference to me.

You can't buy this stuff at Wal-Mart, and frankly, the hooks were a little small on a bunch of jig heads I bought from Cabelas last year. You need big heavy stuff, depending on current and where you are fishing. I buy most of my jig heads and bodies from Tony Cooley on the south side of the dam. I came home with two new rods and two new reels the other day too. I saw someone here at NAFF swearing by spoons the other day. I wish I knew how they were fished. If you rip a spoon when it gets a little warmer or in the wrong spots, you can't keep skipjack off of it. For those that may not know about skip jacks, catching them during the striper run is a bad thing. For those that like to catch anything, it is a good thing. I think some of my impressions of fishing were shaped when I was 13 years old and catching Alabama tarpon on every cast with a zebco 33. I remember 1/8 ounce mister twister curly tail jigs above the dam when they would let you walk through and fish the top side. I also remember trying for drum in the corner of "the wall" by letting a sassy shad drop deep. The other day the drum were hot and heavy in the slack eddy water. Luckily, I did not catch one. MY, how times have changed. Snagging Gar with 8 lb. test line and a 1/8-1/4 ounce or so jig will be red hot in May. When you see them rolling, just fish like you are trying to catch a fish and hold on! It is legal if you use a jig head, and you really don't even need a body to make it work. I actually ruined a Shimano spinning reel doing that one year. I am over that too. If your quarry is "trash fish," e-mail me. It is often fun for kids or those that are new to area.

For game fish, watch for reports, 'cause I am gonna be wearin' it out in the coming weeks.... I hope... Good luck!

jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]