g-dam tailrace

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 31, 2004 at 20:28:43:

Had to test all my beliefs today including one theory by Hank Parker that stripe fishing is better on cold, windy, and rainy days. He says the nastier, the better. By George, it don't get much nastier than today.

I was smart enough to leave the boat at home. For those that don't know, the ramps don't have piers and there is current and launching by yourself is out of the question unless you have a flat bottom or something you don't mind parking on rocks, etc. No one else was crazy enough to go with me and launching from Ditto was out of my mind due to the Northeast wind!

Fished the old cafe point around 3:30 pm and just about had rod jerked from hand on first cast. I am suspecting it could be drum or foul hook skipjack or God knows what. Second cast was a 7-8 pound Salt. I looked around and there was no one to see it. Now my hands are wet and the wind is straight up the river from the northwest at 15-20 mph. A few casts later I caught a 4-5 pound salt when finished, I finally understood that old Pink Floyd song comfortably numb. My thumbs felt like two balloons! After the rain, and during the sleet burst, I managed one more 4-5 pound salt. I saw a guy about a hundred yards down that showed up after the nasty weather, and he started hooking up with something every 5 minutes or so for hours. Finally went down to scout it out, and heard him say that he had caught 3 salts. I saw him catch another before I left around 6-8 pounds. They were killing those big ol' Buffalo drum, but had to mix it up with em to get to the stripe I guess.

It seems to me, I might be wrong, that the salts run first and then the big hybrids start to show up. I think it is all about being there on a CaddyShack kinda day from now through April.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]