Re: How to get more speed??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 29, 2004 at 23:34:06:

In Reply to: How to get more speed?? posted by 190superpro on March 29, 2004 at 20:59:11:

Before you start doing anything to the prop, you should check to see if you can find any charts on Mercury's site that give you the expected speed given a certain prop, boat and HP. You also need to know accurately how many rpm's you are currently running at max throttle. If you are below the maximum limit at full throttle, changing the prop pitch might get more speed at top end, but will also make it slower out of the hole in most cases. If the rpm's are at the extreme high end or higher, then you could definitely go with a higher pitched prop and see the benefit in speed without as much loss in coming out of the hole.

Yamaha has some charts like this and it helped me to realize that I am getting all I am going to get out of my motor/boat/prop combo. 60 mph with 2 people and a full tank sounds pretty good for your motor/boat combo.

The only thing I would check is whether or not the foot of the motor is too low. If there is room to move the motor up without bringing the foot up so high that you have cavitation problems, you *might* pick up a little more speed.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]