Re: License Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 28, 2004 at 00:02:45:

In Reply to: License Questions posted by David price on March 26, 2004 at 10:59:30:

Check this link for the rules about boaters licenses as applies to your question:
http://www.dps.state.al.us/public/driverlicense/blicense.asp

I agree that they should NOT have grandfathered in ANYONE. I have seen folks on the water who "should" know better, based on their advanced age, engaged in very dangerous and rude behavior. Of course, I have also seen younger folks WITH the certificates for boating safety doing as bad, but seldom worse. In any case, everyone should "refresh" themselves on boating laws, regulations and requirements and use "common courtesy" on the water. The latter is what we have a major lack in. I really think it is a problem with definition. Too many folks really don't have a clue!

The Alabama Marine Police DO know the law and will enforce it if you are in violation. We simply don't have enough officers in the field, the same as we don't have enough game wardens out there to be able to do the job effectively and efficiently.

Also, any boat/vessel which is mechanically propelled (gas or electric) must be registered. That is, you must pay a fee and obtain a registration number which must be displayed on the hull of the boat. Even an inflatable that uses a trolling motor is required to register.

I know reading the rules and regulations can be daunting, but they are readily available for those who look. Heck, I found them! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]