Re: Sauger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on November 16, 2000 at 16:19:49:

In Reply to: Sauger posted by WTL on November 15, 2000 at 19:59:16:

There are sauger biting now in the river but, it is still early for the prime bite. Use 1/2-oz jigging spoons or 1/2 to 3/4-oz hair jigs tipped with minnows just below the turbins in the deeper water. I prefer white jigs but color normally don't seem to matter that much in my boat. While tailraces do produce good numbers, I find much better size fishing the channel in the river bends and narrows between Ditto and the dam and, below Ditto. (40 to 55 feet deep). If you see schools of bait on your sonar in the channel you will probably get some sauger. I have also caught some recently below Wheeler dam (in the trough) up to 23" and they are starting to bite on the main lakes of both Guntersville and Wheeler. If you have never fished for them before, drop your jig to the bottom and work it s-l-o-w-l-y up and down. I usually hold mine a foot or two up off the bottom for a couple of seconds and let it fall back down. Drift in the current or slowley move along with your TM while working the bait. Stay deep, watch your sonar, work your bait slow off the bottom and DON'T keep more than you can eat. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]