Re: Bank Fishing Around Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 21, 2004 at 23:36:20:

In Reply to: Re: Bank Fishing Around Decatur posted by Jimmy Yarbrough on March 21, 2004 at 16:55:14:

I think it is a great idea, but we will have a rough road and high mountain to climb. Look at the situation with Wilson-Morgan lake/pond. The city council/lawyers decided to limit the areas you can fish from to a small area of shallows where the fishing is only fair during a small percentage of the year.

As you said, there is only one handicapped capable fishing pier available and although I applaud the effort, as far as I know not much input was given or asked for from the area fishermen as to the location or anything else. Don't get me wrong, I do applaud the effort, but the politics of Decatur with the lousy city council we have now, almost completely preclude anything of any serious value coming from them for bank fishermen. The handicapped fishing pier would probably not even be there if it was under the control or authority of the current Decatur city council, it is however one of the very few things that the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge has EVER done that was good for fishing or fishermen in this area. I can show you quite a few things that the WNWR has done that have had a great detriment on fish in this area and with at least one of them they have no explanation for why they did it. Didn't help the ducks, didn't help the wildlife, didn't help ANYTHING!

The political pressure is there and it goes hand in hand with the money. Not to mention probably from hand to pocket.

However, give me a call and let's see what we might come up with. Actually, I only bought a boat because the bank fishing had gotten so bad, especially with the limited good fishing areas you can access from the bank. I agree that the only way to get more access for bank fishermen is to provide a united front, but you are talking about a VERY uphill battle.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]