Re: More about Bank Fishing Around Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jimmy Yarbrough on March 21, 2004 at 18:41:25:

In Reply to: Re: Bank Fishing Around Decatur posted by Jimmy Yarbrough on March 21, 2004 at 16:55:14:

My wife had to make a call so I had to get off the net before I was through. One of the main reasons I love to fish so much is that my dad took me and my brother fishing every Wed. afternoon when our business was closed. We didn't have a boat and fished from the bank at Cave Springs, Spring Creek at the bridge, and Smith Lake. Kids need a place to fish and so do the elderly and those that can't or don't want to buy a boat. Why not start a group and call it The Wheeler BAIT Organization with BAIT standing for bank-fishermen are important too. I know BAIT been used before, but it seems to fit good. There would be 4 groups to deal with-Decatur, TVA,The State of Ala. Game and Fish Dept. and Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. I think an organized group could exert enough pressure to get some results. Look at the numbers. There are a whole lot more bank fishermen than boaters. Peggy Holloway of Holloway's Tackle Shop has told me she would go out of business if she depended only on bass fishermen. Selling minnows, worms, cane poles, etc. is big business. Build some public fishing docks with fish attractors. A state lake in Morgan County would be great. That might sound ridiculous with the amount of water we have, but how much of that water is accessible and has fish to be caught? A state lake is managed so the kids could catch something,bank fishing is dominant but boats could be rented, and families could fish and have picnics, etc. Maybe a fishing area at Swan Creek Management Area. Some public ponds on the refuge. The public also needs some educating on littering as seen by the mess along the banks at the pumps. Just some ideas about a topic I feel is important to the future of fishing. The sale of fishing licenses continues to decline and lack of fishing opportunities is a big reason why. Get kids involved in fishing and it will change their lives.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]