Re: Expert Gizzard Shad Location and Catching Techniques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by minnow bucket on March 19, 2004 at 20:59:22:

In Reply to: Expert Gizzard Shad Location and Catching Techniques posted by Steve on March 16, 2004 at 12:12:44:

Steve: Man what a response to your query!! My .02 cents worth for what it's worth. Most cast nets are bought at 3/8 inch mesh size. There are available 1/4 inch mesh size nets. The reason for this is sometimes the minnows one sees on the depth finder are small and can escape the larger mesh sizes. With the 1/4 one can usually catch even the smaller minnows which helps determine if you are missing them with a larger mesh or if indeed they are escaping the net. Also my experience has been to seek out shallow water and even better if there is some type of water flow from runoff or a spring or some other inflow of water. I find it best to try netting when there are blips of minnows on top of the water but with a quality depth finder they can be located and caught deeper. As to the bigger nets I find a diameter of 6 to 8 feet sufficient for our area, however this is a personal choice. Good luck. Fishing with minnows is fun and can be very rewarding.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]