Re: Boat Accident at Goose Pond Saturday?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 15, 2004 at 09:32:28:

In Reply to: Boat Accident at Goose Pond Saturday? posted by Brad on March 14, 2004 at 15:37:26:

I was coming into Goosepond from the main channel yesterday around noon and they were still dragging for the other body. They were in the marked channel coming into Goosepond and we had to idle through them and into the really shallow water out of the channel for about 10 minutes to get through. They had the sheriff with a cadaver dog, marine police, coast guard, rescue squad, and several volunteer boats. It was a sick feeling. The lady in the snack shop said that the steering cable had broken and thrown the passengers out of the boat. Obviously they were not wearing life jackets and did not have the lanyard attached to kill the motor.

The marine police said something that got my attention on the news last night. The kill switch is not only to keep the boat from running over you, but also gives you something to hold on to if thrown out. It is very easy to be lazy with life jackets and lanyards for those "short" runs. I was in the exact same situation as I approached the area yesterday. I didn't even bother to get my life jacket out of the storage compartment as I was running around. Never again!

As for the fishing, well, we caught one small stripe and a few small bream. We fished from 5 ft. back to 2 ft. deep in the back of a pocket. The bream were really pecking the jigs starting in about 3 feet. I did not see a crappie caught by anyone, but I 'spect someone must have been catchin' 'em... it just aint never me!

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]