Re: gas ratio

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 10, 2004 at 20:57:35:

In Reply to: Re: gas ratio posted by sambo on March 10, 2004 at 19:32:50:

From what I have read and heard from what I consider to be reliable sources, you should use the minimum octane required by your motor be it a car or outboard.

Years ago, when we still had leaded gas at most pumps, detergents may not have been in the lower grades of gasoline, but today even the 87 octane gas has detergents in high enough percentage to do the job, if it is going to do the job at all. Higher octane gas can help in some situations and should be used when the specs for a motor call for it, but in many cases, you are only spending more money for little or no added benefit.

In short, if your motor calls for 87 octane gas and runs well using it, there is no need or reason to buy the more expensive higher octane grades. Most engines are either designed or tuned in such a way that they can't take advantage of the higher octane and there is no benefit, detergents or otherwise, for using a higher grade than your engine actually needs. However, the oil companies would never do anything to stop you from needlessly spending more money for higher priced gas that you really don't need.

My $.02

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: