Crappie weight-length debate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 29, 2004 at 22:56:18:

After Kent posted about his catch, estimating 2 of his crappie at "approx. 3 pounds", one being 14 and the other being 14.5 inches, I started thinking about my own estimates or educated guesstimates. I still know that a 14 or 14.5 inch crappie will not weigh anywhere near the 3 pound mark and I stand by my estimates in my original reply. Also, I looked at several online fish weight "calculators". With no exceptions, all of them grossly over estimated crappie weight. I think it is because the formula used is based on the fairly accurate formula for black bass. Although it is reasonably accurate for black bass, it isn't worth the effort for crappie, white or black.

So, I went to the main message board at crappie.com and asked the question to get some other "experienced" opinions on the ranges for crappie weight based on length. I got quite a few responses with a lot of info. Not all of them actually answered the question I asked, but there is a lot of good information in the thread about crappie growth rates and a couple of them actually provide info about the question I asked.

Here is the link to my original post on that message board:

http://www.crappie.com/wwwfish/crappie/messages/5781.html

There are several replies and replies to replies in the thread. My own experience comes close to the chart posted by Team9nine that is reported to have come from the Michigan DNR. It gives approximate weights for given lengths for crappie and differentiates between black and white crappie.

In any case, it is a good read with a lot more good info about crappie than what I asked for in my original post.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]