Also look for this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on February 28, 2004 at 08:10:52:

In Reply to: 50 hp mariner posted by jojo on February 27, 2004 at 18:08:35:

After thinking some more, spin the prop shaft and watch directly into the center. If it is warped or bent, it will appear to move in the center. Look for signs of impact on the front edge of the foot. A motor that has hit something at speed will suffer strain damage if it doesn't break upon impact. It will usually get worse and finally break a shaft or vibrate the shaft bearings until they start grinding and whining.When you spin the prop by hand listen for noises and feel for vibration or 'catches' in the spin. And lastly, unscrew the lower fill screw on the lower unit (on foot right above the skeg) and let it drip out some oil. I'd keep my finger over it and let it out a little at a time, but look for water and/or metal shavings. I believe the screw itself has a magnetic tip so look at it for metal shavings. If you find either water or metal, I'd skip it.
If it has been 'setting up' for over a year without running, the carbs will be gummed and varnished and will never run smoothly, if it will even start. If the lower unit has no apparent damage, and you can spin the engine while trying to start it, and there is no rattle (noises) in the pistons and cylinders, it probably will be fine with a new carb kit installed. That is simply a rebuild for the carbs. It will cost about $75 for the kit to do it yourself, or about $150 for a shop to do it. BUT, it will probably be a great motor after that. Sorry so long, but I know what you are going through. Don't waste $700 just to buy a headache or worse than that, a boat anchor!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]