Re: GPS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike D on February 25, 2004 at 06:47:25:

In Reply to: GPS posted by Randall on February 24, 2004 at 13:05:11:

I prefer the Garmin. I have a 12XL. My brothers have the 12 and the Legend. My dad has a Magellan 315. We use our GPS's to mark our trees and stake beds as well as hunting locations.

It is getting time to purchase a newer one for me. I am going to get the Garmin Legend.

All GPS's will vary in accuracy from day to day due to the orbit of the satelites. From a features standpoint, The Garmin is easier than the Megallan 315 to operate to store and retrieve waypoints. My personal experience has been that I can get within 13 feet of my waypoint in heavy tree cover while hunting and within 9 feet of my waypoint while on water.

We use EASY GPS on our PC's to organize, store and share waypoints via email. I have more than 600 hunting and fishing waypoint stored on my PC. We also use USAPhotoMaps to view topos and aerials that are downloaded from Terraserver.

I would suggest that you get a PC data cable with your GPS. You can get really great deals from www.pfranc.com for the Garmin for around $12-$15 per PC cable.

In addition the power cable to run off the 12 volt battery in your boat is really nice. The power cables can also be purchased from pfranc. Please read the info at pfranc if you try to built your own. The newer units cannot handle over 3.3V. My old 12XL can operate on 8V-32V.

For some family fun with a GPS checkout www.geocaching.com.

Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]