Re: Stolen Boat - Please Keep Your Eyes Open!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Price on February 23, 2004 at 10:37:34:

In Reply to: Re: Stolen Boat - Please Keep Your Eyes Open!!! posted by Kerry Grissett on February 22, 2004 at 21:02:09:

Well I have an idea for yall. I live on Lewis Smith Lake and I live next to a camp where there is probably in the neighborhood of thirty or so trailers that are used mostly in the summertime which makes them fair game for thieves in the winter. One section out on the point has about a dozen homes on it. They had someone break into three of them one month and another four the next. Well the road going in is private so I talked to the owners and got them to agree to my lil plan. I had an ax to grind as someone had stolen my trolling motor and a 900 dollar fly rod out of my boat house. Well there is only one way in and out of that section. I took one of those game cameras that I had bought at a local pawn shop and set it up just inside the gate on the road. We left the gate open. Everyone agreed to call me before they came down so I could disable the camera. Well first two weeks nothing but the meter reader and one family that forgot to call. Second week a Ford Ranger with two guys was caught on it. Tag number clearly visible and two break ins and about a grand in stuff stolen. The then previously apathetic "why are you bothering me" police had pics and we got all that stuff and my fly rod when they caught the guys and found over 30 thousand in stolen merchandise at their house. Of course the newspaper was full of all the "through the tireless efforts and investigation of the local detectives" etc stories when in fact the only way they find your stolen stuff is if they accidentally come across it. lmao Someone should set up one of those cams near the ramp and leave something for bait and get these guys on film. The digital ones are best as they can be viewed and deleted without having to develop tons of pics. I now have one out by my boat house and two covering the waters edge as thieves like using boats and I am more comfortable knowing I can at least see who is stealing my stuff and its hard for the police to turn a shoulder when they got pics to work with. Best money I ever spent

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]