Re: Fishing on Wheeler this Sunday

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Kelley on February 21, 2004 at 06:01:34:

In Reply to: Fishing on Wheeler this Sunday posted by KEITH GREEN on February 20, 2004 at 15:44:41:

Well Keith, since you asked - I personally would go back into Swan, Mud and Round Island creeks as far as I could and fish the channels back out.The water clears quickly in the back of these creeks. Slow roll a big chart/white spinnerbait w/gold blades or slowly flip a brown jig&pig (#1 pork) around the stumps. In old grass areas I would also fish a RED (or char) rattle-trap very slowly and steady, dragging the gravel bottoms with it. I'd do this all day, covering as much of the backwater areas as I could. Stay in (or on the edges) of the ditches. The bite will be slow, so keep moving, but STAY in an area where you catch a fish. Look for warmer water, usually as far back into the creek as you can go. Don't expect to find 60 degree water, but water in high 40's to low 50's will have active fish. They should be pre-spawn staging and have good body weight. Personally, I would forget the main lake.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]