Crappie from the bank in shallow water

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 06, 2000 at 11:17:01:

I got up pretty early this morning, around 4am, and saw that it was wet, windy, cool and miserable outside. Good time to go fishing!

I got out just before daylight and starting catching fish just as it was light enough to cast, but not light enough to see my cork. The first place I tried I ended up catching 7 keepers (around 10"), 4 almost big enough (too close to 9" for comfort) and 2 very small ones. The water was about 4-5 feet deep at the deepest part and I was fishing a jig under a cork about 2 feet deep.

Left the first spot and tried another old favorite spot at about 7:30am. Started catching fish right away. This place was also rather shallow, 4-6 feet deep at the deepest and I fished jig under cork about 2.5 feet deep. Ended up catching 11 keepers, no "maybes" and 31 too small to keep.

The fish hit on red/chartreuse combo early and crystal shad later. I left for home at 10am. Altogther I caught 55 fish, of which 18 were keepers and 37 weren't big enough. 6 of the keepers were about 1 pound each and 12-13" long. The remaining keepers were all about 10". So the larger crappie are starting to move up a little more and should continue to do so if the cooler weather holds and it wouldn't hurt to get some more rain.

Sorry I didn't give exact locations, but you know how it gets this time of year. Time to play the cards a little closer to the chest, so to speak. (grin) I didn't try the causeway bridge today because the wind was really whipping through there this morning, but I bet there were a few there too!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]