Re: How will the flood effect the spring striper run?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on February 16, 2004 at 10:55:54:

In Reply to: How will the flood effect the spring striper run? posted by Joseph Fristoe on February 13, 2004 at 23:54:18:

As you put it... "THE" flood.... I don't think you have much to worry about yet. I drove over the Whitesburg bridge this morning and things appear to be improving. I learned something new several weeks ago about the stretch of river you are referring to. Moderate rains can make that part of the river muddy, while the water will be in good shape just below Guntersville dam. The Flint and Paint Rock rivers had caused murky water on a few rain events before "THE" flood a few weeks back.

If it continues to rain and aggravate the situation, then all bets are off. Flood gates are not a problem and it is possible to have a very good striper run with some stain to the water. Last year some of my best days were fishing turbulent water in the middle between the discharge of flood gates on each side of the dam. I fished on the bank one day because the water was so choppy with wind and flood gates and saw some guys in a pontoon boat killing the stipers.

I can't wait. This seems to be the winter that just won't quit! Keep us posted if you start running into fish. I suspect it won't be long... the Robins have returned, tulips are sprouting, and everything else in nature seems to be totally diregarding the cool weather. I guess the length of day is a major factor??? I surely can't seem to figure out any sure predictions based on water/air temps alone!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]