Mcfarland Park

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Thomas on February 13, 2004 at 18:18:34:

In Reply to: Re: boat launch posted by BassTracker on February 13, 2004 at 14:20:23:

Mcfarland's boat launch is very "user friendly" with a lot of places to tie up your boat after launching. Once you leave the marina you are in the channel which usually has very strong current during the daytime-especially on weekdays or after a heavy rain. You have good deep water in the middle of the river(no cahnnel markers up here) til you get to the end of Jackson Island. If you go to the left you are in the "horseshoe". There are a lot of submerged rock piles and rock rows-use your trolling motor only up here. If you want to drift the tailrace right below the dam stay well out in the middle-avoid the left side where the "whitewater" comes out from under the dam. Your best bet is to follow another boat up there and drift back. I have fished this area extensively and seen a few nice $40,000 rigs wash over the rocks in the entrance to the blow-hole-talk about a bug-eyed basser! I never even attempt to go in the blow hole unless there's no current. I know it's uncomfortable but keep your life jacket on when you are in any current on this lake. Just about every year we see on the news where somebody falls overboard and drowns because they were not wearing a life preserver. If you go downriver stay in the main channel-there are 15' tall stumps in 16' of water on the little river side of 7 mile island and a series of old canals made of rock piles all up and down the river til you get to Waterloo. If it were my first trip I would go with a friend who knows the water or hire a guide for a half day. There's a guy here in Athens who guides this lake for a living-Austin James-expensive but you will get a good lesson.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]