Re: Fish locators/depth finders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 12, 2004 at 23:33:13:

In Reply to: Fish locators/depth finders posted by david on February 12, 2004 at 18:08:57:

This question comes up so often that I wonder why there isn't anyone doing something like Comsumer Reports does for other products. Maybe there is such a source for comparisons, but I have never found one. At least not a source that is factually reliable and without bias. If anyone knows of an unbiased comparitive reporting source for fishing products, please let me know!

David, you will probably get as many opinions as there are readers here who have experienced different makes and models of depth finders. All I can tell you is that I don't have any confidence in Humminbird at all. Eagle/Lowrance has been exceptional in their performance and reliability for me. The others? I really don't know since I have not used them or been a boat with them in use. The Eagle model I have (Fish ID 128, portable) isn't made under the same name anymore, but I like it and understand its limitations. By that, I mean that I have used it enough to understand what it is telling me and I trust it based on my experience with the unit.

If this will be your first depth finder, I suggest going with Eagle/Lowrance and choose the options (speed/temp/gps) that you really MUST have. For the way I fish, I don't require gps, speed or temp, although a temp sensor on the console of the unit would be nice. After you make your choice, USE the unit and put in enough time with it to get familiar with its limitations and also decide whether or not it provides the service you require. That last part can only come from time on the water and experience with any particular unit.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]